Monday, January 9, 2012

Chinese Food for Everyone Take 2

I hired a housekeeper to visit our home once a week.

Once a week, she asked? Are you sure?

It seems once every two weeks or once a month is the norm, but really...yes, once a week, I desperately pleaded. Please fit my home into your schedule. I

Since returning to work and moving into a house, I realized the only way that this whole 2 working parents, no daycare, thing would work is if we outsourced most everything but the kid. I needed someone to hit the reset button on our house once a week.

So it was great confidence I felt I could host a Sunday afternoon dinner party for 5 adults and 2 kids. After all, what could possible go wrong? The house would be clean. We'd have all day Saturday for errands and grocery shopping. We'd make our famous gourmet risotto and lemon bundt cake.

You get where this is going...anything that could go wrong short of someone ending up in the hospital or dying (though the ER almost did come into play when I slammed the car door on my husband's hand). At 9 AM on Saturday, our gorgeous framed engagement photo that made us look young glamorous came crashing down on the floor into a million smattered pieces. Luckily, Baby wasn't around. At 9 PM, Husband drove over a sample jar of paint and now our driveway looks like it was attacked by graffitti artists. I choose not to remember anything in-between other than the whole family breaking down in the distant suburbs sometime during the afternoon.

Sunday wasn't much improved. Guests were to arrive at 3. At 2:54, Husband was texting me to say the store didn't carry the Arborio rice needed for risotto.

Plan B! I decided. Chinese food delivery for everyone!

I knew it would all be ok. The house was still clean. Sometimes, in the life of domestichood, that's all that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment